What is orthodontist?
Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that treats malocclusion, a condition in which the teeth are not correctly positioned when the mouth is closed. This results in an improper bite. An orthodontist specializes in making the teeth straight. Treatment can be cosmetic, to improve a person's appearance, but it often aims to improve oral function, too.
Types of treatment
- closing wide gaps between the teeth
- aligning the tips of the teeth
- straightening crooked teeth
- improving speech or chewing ability
- boosting the long-term health of gums and teeth
- preventing long-term excessive wear or trauma of the teeth
- treating an improper bite